Storage and Security
Note: Notify EH&S immediately of any missing controlled substances: (510) 642-3073.
Principal Investigators (PIs) are responsible for providing and maintaining secure storage for their CS inventory that meets these criteria:
Store CS according to schedule number:
Schedule II: Store in a safe or steel cabinet equivalent.
Schedule III-V: Store in a locked drawer or cabinet that is inaccessible from above or below.
Install the following equipment according to these standards:
Padlocks and hinges:
- Must have the mounting screws or bolts of the hasp inaccessible when the door is closed and the lock is fastened.
Safes and steel cabinet equivalents:
- Must be cemented or bolted to the floor or wall, or weigh more than 750 pounds.
Keys and codes:
- Must not be readily accessible in a nearby drawer or desk.
- Must only be issued and carried by individual authorized researchers or staff.
- Must be secure enough to show forced entry.
- Must be inaccessible from the upper or lower drawers in the stack. Assign the top drawer of the stack, if possible.
- Do not share CS storage facilities.
- Do not transfer CS from its original container for storage purposes.
- Do not store other chemicals or supplies in a CS storage unit (only your logbook or other cs records are allowed).
- Do not store CS in a corridor.
- Lockboxes or toolboxes that could easily be lifted and taken out of a laboratory are not acceptable.