If it's a life-threatening situation, evacuate the area and call 911.
- During business hours: Contact EH&S at (510) 642-3073 and press "1" when prompted to talk to a live person.
When a spill occurs:
- Isolate the area of the spill.
- Alert people in the immediate area.
- If spilled material is an imminent hazard, call 911 or (510) 642-3333 with a cellular phone.
- If spilled material is flammable, turn off nearby ignition or heat sources if it is safe to do so.
- If spilled material is volatile or an airborne powder, leave the area.
- If possible to do so safely, confine the area of the spill with absorbent materials.
- If possible, prevent the spilled material from going down drains.
- Close doors to affected areas.
- Post danger or warning signs.
- Keep people from entering the spill area.
- Clean spills only if they are minor and you have the training and protective equipment.
- Alert Building Management during business hours.
- During off-hours or weekends, call the Campus Police dispatch at 911 (510-642-3333 with a cellular phone) for an emergency or (510) 642-6760 for a non-emergency.
- If spilled chemicals enter a sink or drain, call EH&S at (510) 642-3073. Report the location and estimated amount of material to enter the drain.
If you are working in a research facility, there should be specific containers labeled for the disposal of sharps. Please contact your laboratory safety contact if you are unsure about where to locate these containers. Reference the Sharps Fact Sheet for questions about handling and disposal.
If you find sharps on campus and are unsure what to do with them, please contact Facilities Services at (510) 642-1032 to request pickup.