Department Safety Coordinators
Department Safety Coordinators (DSCs) are a vital part of the campus safety structure, coordinating, implementing, and documenting safety practices in departments across campus.
News & Alerts
Earlier this fall, Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) launched a new lab coat laundry process.
Please perform the following steps if your lab coat is in need of laundering:Fill out the...Read more about Reminder: New Lab Coat Laundry Process
The following lessons learned reports detail what went wrong and what corrective actions have been taken or will take place to address the incidents.Read more about Lessons Learned: Fume Hood Vessel Overpressurization and Skin Burns from Heating Glass
Are you a new Department Safety Coordinator?
Are you looking for answers on how to get started or who to talk to?
If you are a new Department Safety Coordinator, please fill out the following form, contact Environment, Health & Safety, or call (510-642-3073) to let us know. Give us your name, title, mailing address and the department or departments you work in and represent.
- Become familiar with EH&S fact sheets and learn about the Workplace Safety Program / Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP).
- Bookmark this web page to quickly find the information and forms you need in the future.
- Learn about related departmental and building safety roles.
DSCs take part in department management by coordinating, implementing, and documenting the department’s safety program. Specific duties include:
- Leading or assisting in Department Safety Committee meetings.
- Communicating information on identified hazards, precautions, and required corrective actions throughout the department.
- Documenting safety concerns and work-related injuries.
- Assists in developing, implementing, and communicating safety policies, programs, and training requirements.
- Represents home department at inspections by regulatory agencies.
- Forwards EH&S communications to the appropriate people in their department.
For more information on DSC duties and other campus safety issues, download the Suggested Job Duties for Department Safety Coordinators Fact Sheet or contact EH&S (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How Do I:
Contact EH&S at 510-642-3073 (off-hours 510-642-3333) to report an accident such as a workplace injury or hazardous material spill/exposure. If there is a life-threatening emergency, please call 911.
Make sure that any accidents or dangerous incidents are reported to your home unit.
EH&S must be notified immediately if any of the following occurs: worker fatality, inpatient hospitalization, loss of any body part (e.g., fingertip), or possible permanent disfigurement.
- When an Injury or Illness Occurs at Work (University Health Services)
Find out what trainings people need?
All employees are required to take Workplace Health and Safety Program training. Use this link to take the training at the UC Learning Center:
Visit the Required Safety and Compliance Training for Researchers website to learn about required training for your job functions.
Additional training for work in specific facilities, departments, and/or unique job tasks may also be required. Work with your supervisor to identify other training needs.
Update recharge account information?
Note: Authorization is required to make updates. Click here to find a list of authorized users for your department.
Note: If you do not see your account, try changing the Active field on the right from Yes to No or Blank.
- Log into Recharge using your Calnet ID.
- Enter current chartstring under Accounts tab in field above the word Chartstring.
- Click the search button.
- Departments can have more than one account. Select the appropriate Account ID by clicking the account ID number.
- Click Edit Account button and you will be able to update the following: Account Name, Account Type, Chartstring, Speed Type, Recharge Type, Add Comment, Account Contact.
- Click Update Account button to save updated information or cancel if needed. Update Account and Cancel buttons are located at the top and bottom of the Update Account page.
For questions or problems, contact email@example.com.