Controlled Substances

Providing assistance and monitoring for the use of regulated drugs and precursors in research.

Dispose of Waste

Master list of waste types is displayed below. Note: If you cannot find the item that you are trying to get rid of in this list, please contact EH&S at or (510) 642-3073. collapse all expand all Aerosol Cans

Please log into the...

Obtain a controlled substances use authorization (CSUA)

EH&S maintains a campus DEA registration for use of Schedule II-V drugs in research. A Principal Investigator (PI) who wishes to work with controlled substances under our institutional license must send the following documentation to to initiate the controlled substance use authorization (CSUA) process:

CSUA Checklist Complete a...

Resources and Guides

Job Safety Analysis (JSA)

A JSA describes job tasks in step-by-step fashion, identifies associated hazards at each step, and outlines proper hazard controls that minimize the risk of injury or illness to the individual(s) performing that task.

JSAs Listed by Topic: Body Mechanics ...

Add Personnel / Make Changes to my Existing CS Use Authorization

The Principal Investigator (PI) must complete the Controlled Substances Program Project Registration Update Form for changes in personnel, location of storage, or addition or change in quantities of any chemicals. Send signed forms to

Dispose of Controlled Substances

Complete the following steps to request pickup of any expired or unwanted controlled substances acquired through UCB’s campus license

Fill out the appropriate forms with controlled substance and PI information. Do not sign the return forms unless in the presence of EH&S to document the chain of custody and transfer of compound's ownership from the lab to EH&S.

Schedule II


Order and Purchase Controlled Substances

To order/purchase Schedule II-V controlled substances, the authorized user must:

Ensure the PI has an active CSUA.

Contact OLAC if the controlled substances are used under the ACUC approved protocol.

Use BearBuy to order controlled substances used in other research.

The requestor will be notified once the controlled substances will be delivered to the campus.

Get a Background Check

Contact your department’s HR partner to request a background check for use of controlled substances in research.

In addition to the instructions provided by HR, submit the following completed document to

Controlled Substances...

Controlled Substances

Controlled Substances

UC Berkeley’s Controlled Substances (CS) program outlines required procedures pertaining to the procurement, use, storage, inventory, and disposal of controlled substances to comply with Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) regulations. These procedures apply to all research and teaching activities using controlled substances.

Contact the EH&S Controlled Substances Program...

Work with Schedule I drugs

Schedule I drugs used in research require an individual registration with the DEA. The named registrant must also declare planned Schedule I drug usage and stored quantities in any campus-affiliated location to EH&S and the Controlled Substance Program Manager. Individual registrants should submit a completed Controlled Substances Project Registration Form to...

New labs

How do I set up a new lab?

Note: Your department's Department Safety Coordinator (DSC) may have their own practices and guidelines. It is strongly suggested that you contact them for guidance. Not sure who your DSC is? Use the "Who's your DSC?" tool to find out!

Getting Started Email to have your new lab set up in our database. Populate your lab roster with the...