Obtain a controlled substances use authorization (CSUA)

EH&S maintains a campus DEA registration for use of Schedule II-V drugs in research. A Principal Investigator (PI) who wishes to work with controlled substances under our institutional license must send the following documentation to csuse@berkeley.edu to initiate the controlled substance use authorization (CSUA) process: 

CSUA Checklist

EH&S Inspection and Approval

Prior to approval of a CSUA, EH&S will perform an in-person inspection of the proposed storage space and verify its security.

Additional Approvals

In-vitro work with controlled substances requires department chair approval. Refer to the project registration form for required approvals.