New labs

How do I set up a new lab?

Note: Your department's Department Safety Coordinator (DSC) may have their own practices and guidelines. It is strongly suggested that you contact them for guidance. Not sure who your DSC is? Use the "Who's your DSC?" tool to find out!

Getting Started

  1. Email to have your new lab set up in our database. If you are a new Principal Investigator, please fill out this intake form.
  2. Populate your lab roster with the Labs @ Berkeley (L@B) roster tool and designate at least one Laboratory Safety Contact (LSC). You may specify yourself as the LSC, but it is strongly recommended that you choose an additional lab member as well in case you are unavailable.
  3. Go into the Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool (LHAT) and fill out a hazard assessment.
  4. Find out what trainings you are required to take.

Note: It may take up to a day for roster changes on L@B to reflect on LHAT. Please contact if any further issues arise.

Required Training

If your lab uses chemicals

  1. You and all members of your lab must take spill response and Hazardous Waste Program (HWP) training.
    • Spill response can be done online through the UC Learning Center.
    • You will be prompted to take the HWP training the first time that you log in. Note: It may take up to a day for you to get access to HWP after completing the initial online training.
  2. Set up chemical inventory.
  3. Print and post door signs.
  4. Complete, review, and sign your chemical hygiene plan.
  5. Generate Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
  6. Make sure that you have a chartstring for requesting waste disposal. Talk to your department's financial coordinator if you are unsure of what this means.
  7. Fume hoods.

If your lab does animal research

If your lab uses blood-borne pathogens, recombinant DNA, or transgenic animals

  1. Request a Biological Use Authorization (BUA).
  2. Enroll to take EHS 203: PI Responsibilities using the UC Learning Center.

If your lab works with Radioactive Materials or Radiation-Producing Machines

If you will be using Lasers or Non-Ionizing Radiation Sources

  1. Submit a Laser Use Registration (LUA).
  2. Enroll in the class "EHS 301 - Initial Laser Safety" using the UC Learning Center.

If your lab will be doing research using Controlled Substances

  1. Request authorization to use Controlled Substances.
  2. Get a background check.

If your lab will be doing research using human subjects

Other Resources