How Do I:
Controlled Substances: The following controlled substances are commonly used for research in campus laboratories:
- Anabolic steroids
- Chloral Hydrate
- Diazepam (Valium)
A complete list of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) controlled substances by schedule. A complete federal list (List I Chemicals) of precursors. The State of California maintains a list of precursor chemicals which includes all federal List I Chemicals plus a few additional chemicals.
In order to work with controlled substances on the Berkeley campus, the principal investigator (PI) must obtain a controlled substances use authorization (CSUA), and each researcher working with the controlled substance(s) must be added to that registration.
CSUA approval is required prior to use of any controlled substances in research activities.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions about controlled substances use authorizations (CSUAs).
Obtain a CSUA for Research
Only a principal investigator (PI) may submit a registration application to obtain a CSUA for their research.
Complete and submit a Project Registration Form. Paper copies must be delivered to EH&S in 317 University Hall.
Animal Use Protocol
Criminal Background Check and Required Forms
Obtain a criminal background check (Live Scan) with the campus police department (UCPD). Please refer to How do I Get a Background Check? for details and required forms.
EH&S Inspection and Approval
Prior to approval of a CSUA, EH&S will perform an inspection of the proposed storage space and verify its security.
Research activities involving controlled substances not administered to animals require additional verification from an organizational official. This may include a department chair, college dean, or other organizational executive.
Add a Researcher to an Existing CSUA
Only a principal investigator (PI) may request an amendment to an existing CSUA.
Request an Amendment
Principal investigator completes and submits a Project Registration Update Form to EH&S at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about updating your registration, see: How do I make changes to my controlled substances use authorization?
Criminal Background Check and Disclosure
- Contact your departmental HR to arrange the documents and schedule an appointment at UCPD.
- Bring completed Background Check documents (Live Scan Service Form, Background Check Disclosure Form, 2-Page Release and Disclose Form, and Interdepartmental Order/Charge form) to your appointment at UCPD.
The Principal Investigator (PI) must use the Controlled Substances Program Project Registration Update Form for changes in personnel, location of storage, or addition of new chemicals. Forms that have been completed, dated and signed must be forwarded to EH&S: email@example.com.
Note: Some applications or updates will require additional information. You will be contacted after your initial submission if this information is necessary.
The Principal Investigator (PI) must already have obtained a Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA) for Research. If this step has not already been completed, please refer to How do I Get Authorization to Use Controlled Substances in my Research? and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Contact OLAC if the controlled substances are used under the ACUC approved protocol.
- Use BearBuy to order controlled substances used in other research.
Note: Verification of the end user authorization is included in the purchasing process.
The requestor will be notified once the controlled substances will be delivered to the campus.
To request pick up of the unwanted controlled substances complete the following steps:
- Complete the return forms for controlled substances. Include all required information. Do not sign the return forms. Forms must be signed at the time of EH&S pick-up to document the chain of custody and transfer of compound's ownership from the lab to EH&S.
- Schedule II (PDF)
- Schedule III-V (PDF)
- Send the completed forms to CSuse@berkeley.edu
- EH&S Hazardous Materials Management Team will then contact the requestor to schedule the pick-up time.
- Disposal documents, signed and dated at the EH&S pick-up, must be kept together with the controlled substances log books.