Get open flame/cooking or special event permit?

1. A fire permit is required for events with the following conditions:

  • 50 or more people attending
  • Use of space on campus in capacity other than its normal use
  • Use of tents or canopies
    • Tents: Cumulative area greater than 400 sq. feet
    • Canopies: Cumulative area greater than 400 sq. feet
  • Location includes a roadway, pathway or plaza used for access by emergency vehicles
  • Use of any kind of open flame (candles, torches, cooking devices, pyrotechnics)
  • Use of compressed gas cylinders in vendor booths, cooking devices or any other function

2. Apply for a permit. Permits should be submitted at least 10 days in advance of an event.

3. The Fire Prevention Team will review plans for set-up and/or inspect event facilities, and issue permit. You will be notified upon issuance.

It is the responsibility of event organizers to ensure that vendors are aware of all regulations and requirements of the permit.

If fire and life safety violations are found, event organizers will be given an opportunity for compliance. Failure to adhere to requirements may result in closure of the event.

All barbecue and open flame/cooking operations require a dedicated ABC rated fire extinguisher to be in the immediate area. If your group does not possess one, you will need to borrow one from Fire Prevention. Please coordinate pick-up from the Banway Building by contacting Fire Prevention at


Special Event Checklist

ASUC Auxiliary Event Services