Event Safety

Ensuring safe and compliant campus events.

Special Event Safe Food Handling Practices

Permit Requirements

Recognized student groups or campus units must submit a permit application before providing food at an event open to the general PUBLIC (or campus community). The group or unit assumes responsibility for the proper preparation, transportation, display, and disposal of the food products as outlined below. If the group employs a licensed caterer to prepare the food, the group assumes the responsibility of being a sponsor and obtaining the necessary application information.

Event Safety

Ensuring safe and compliant campus events. Fire & Life Safety during Events

An event permit may be required to ensure the fire and life safety of the campus community. Issues of concern include:

Expected attendance of fifty or more people Campus space being used for other than normal purposes Tents or canopies over 400 sq ft Locations that could impact access by emergency vehicles Use of open flame,...

Resources and Guides

Job Safety Analysis (JSA)

A JSA describes job tasks in step-by-step fashion, identifies associated hazards at each step, and outlines proper hazard controls that minimize the risk of injury or illness to the individual(s) performing that task.

JSAs Listed by Topic: Body Mechanics ...

Will Klyver

Plans Examiner (Construction Inspector)
Fire Prevention
Building Fire Inspections
Event Permit
Fire Drills
Construction Inspection
Building Plan Review

Get fire extinguisher training?

Live Fire Extinguisher Trainingehs team member using fire extinguisher on live fire prop

The Office of Environment, Health & Safety is pleased to provide live fire extinguisher training to UC Berkeley students, staff, and faculty at no cost.

How to register for Live Fire Extinguisher Training Note: There are currently no Live Fire Extinguisher Training classes scheduled.

The minimum class size is 10,...

Workplace Safety

California state regulations require every employer to establish, implement and maintain an effective Injury & Illness Prevention Program (IIPP). In August 2017, the University adopted a campuswide Workplace Safety Program that serves as the University’s central IIPP for creating a safe and healthful work environment. Having one program for the whole University helps to improve access, consistency, and usability across all departments. EH&S is the responsible department for overseeing the campuswide Workplace Safety Program. The campus Workplace Safety Program is based on the Injury...

Get open flame/cooking or special event permit?

1. A fire permit is required for events with the following conditions:

50 or more people attending Use of space on campus in capacity other than its normal use Use of tents or canopies Tents: Cumulative area greater than 400 sq. feet Canopies: Cumulative area greater than 400 sq. feet Location includes a roadway, pathway or plaza used for access by emergency vehicles Use of any kind of open flame (candles, torches, cooking devices, pyrotechnics) Use of compressed gas cylinders in vendor booths, cooking devices or any other function


Muzna Rauf

Environmental Health Specialist, REHS
Food Facilities
Event Safety
Food & Water Safety
Field Research

Patrick Kaulback

Assistant Manager, Health & Safety; REHS
Workplace Safety
Shop Safety
Food & Water Safety
Food Facilities
Event Safety

Special Event Food Permit Changes

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

Catering Restrictions for Special Event food Permits

Download Full Guidance on Catering Restrictions


Under the direction of the University of California, Office of the President (UCOP), and the UC Berkeley Office of People & Culture, as informed by state law (...