Regardless of cost or scope, all construction projects at UC Berkeley require consultation with the Campus Fire Marshal.
The Campus Fire Marshal’s office requires submittal of 100% construction documents for review and final approval with signature. A project manager may elect to submit any or all of the following drawings in earlier design phases for review and comment:
- Preliminary Design Drawings
- Schematic Design Drawings
- Design Development Drawings (50%, 90%, etc., as agreed upon with Project Manager)
- Construction Documents (50%, 90%, etc., as agreed upon with Project Manager)
If plan check review comments were provided for any design phase submittal listed above, provide written responses to each comment in the subsequent submittal.
Electronic Plan Submission
Regardless of phase, all submitted electronic plans are required to be in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format, and must contain the pertinent project information (Project Name, Number, Manager, Building Name, and Address). Additionally the Campus Fire Marshal must be able to retain copies of the electronic documents for records purposes, and reserves the right to request hard copies of any submittal or design document.
- Completed recharge form for CFM services must be included with initial submission
- Electronic submittals may be sent to email@example.com
Submittal during Construction Phase, or Resubmittal of design documents and shop drawings
- When requesting review of subsequent versions of design documents, include design professional responses to CFM comments given in previous plan reviews
- When requesting review of shop drawings revisions, include contractor responses to previous review comments
Responses to CFM comments
- Consultant and contractor responses to CFM plan review comments may be submitted electronically
- Submit one (1) set of plans and specifications for review during all design phases. Design Drawings Checklists
- Submit one set of full or half-size plans AND electronic files of specifications along with certification page, signed by designer of record.
Construction Phase (i.e., fire alarm and fire sprinkler submittals)
- Submit at least two (2) sets of drawings and calculations. Fire/Life Safety Submittal Checklist
Estimated Review Time
- 3 weeks with valid recharge account on record.
Drop off (& Pick-up) location
317 University Hall (3rd floor, corner of University and Oxford)
Attention: Deputy Fire Marshal Name -OR- Fire Prevention Division
Environment, Health & Safety
2199 Addison Street
317 University Hall, MC 1150
Berkeley, CA 94720-1150