Environmental Protection

Helping to protect and enhance the campus environment and providing permit and compliance management services.

Workplace Safety

California state regulations require every employer to establish, implement and maintain an effective injury prevention program. In August 2017, the University adopted a campuswide Workplace Safety Program that serves as the university’s central program for creating a safe and healthful work environment. Having one program for the whole university helps to improve access, consistency, and usability across all departments. EH&S is the responsible department for overseeing the campuswide Workplace Safety Program.

Plans Review

Regardless of cost or scope, all construction projects at UC Berkeley require consultation with the Campus Fire Marshal.

The Campus Fire Marshal’s office requires submittal of 100% construction documents for review and final approval with signature. A project manager may elect to submit any or all of the following drawings in earlier design phases for review and comment:

What information/documents must be submitted for a permit?

The authorizing agency requires the submittal of the following:

  • Monitoring Well and Soil Boring Permit Application
  • A scaled plan identifying the proposed drilling locations, property boundaries, streets, structures, pollution areas, and buried and overhead utility lines.
  • Fee

Do I need to obtain a permit for drilling activities on UC property?

Yes, boring permits are required for University construction project drilling activities under certain conditions described below. However, the University is only required to comply with permitting requirements authorized by the state Water Code, and activities covered by municipal ordinances that go beyond the authorization of the state statutes do not apply to the University.

You are required to obtain a permit from the authorizing city or county agency for the installation and destruction of the following :

What is the intent of the permit requirements?

The intent of the requirements is to prevent unintentional impacts to groundwater from contaminants that may be introduced through improper construction or installation of soil borings, dewatering devices, probes, and investigative boreholes.

When must a permitted well or soil boring be closed?

Permitted wells and temporary borings must be closed according to conditions of the permit granted.

  • Some monitoring wells will be used long-term and will be permitted accordingly.
  • Inactive monitoring wells that are not used within a year’s time should be closed.
  • Soil borings and temporary wells should be closed upon completion of work and according to a registered engineer or geologist’s approved work plan.

What is the timeline for the permit process?

The permit process takes approximately 2 weeks.

A general timeline of the process is as follows using the City of Berkeley by example:

What will be the cost of this permit for my project?

Fees vary by county. The fees for the City of Berkeley are typical and are as follows (as of April 2012):

  • Well: $376 (plus $112 for each additional well)
  • Soil Boring: $188 (plus $112 for each additional soil boring)