Construction Safety

Information and guidance for construction contractors work on the UC Berkeley campus. Construction contractors must be aware of their own obligations to comply with local, state and federal regulations as applicable to their work activities onsite.

Kevin Keller

Environmental Construction Specialist
Environmental Protection
Construction Inspection
Contractor Services
Building Plans

Amy Chen

Campus Fire Marshal
Fire Prevention
Building Plan Review

Zoe Ladwig

Plans Examiner (Construction Inspector)
Fire Prevention
Construction Inspection
Building Plan Review

Get construction plans reviewed?

Plans Review

Regardless of cost or scope, all construction projects at UC Berkeley require consultation with the Campus Fire Marshal.

The Campus Fire Marshal’s office requires submittal of 100% construction documents for review and final approval with signature. A project manager may elect to submit any or all of the following drawings in earlier design phases for review and comment:

Preliminary Design Drawings Schematic Design Drawings Design Development Drawings (50%, 90%, etc., as agreed upon with Project Manager) Construction Documents (50%, 90%, etc., as agreed upon with...

Storage Tanks

Any container of oil, fuel, or oil like substances, of 55 gallons or greater including steel and plastic drums, must be made known to EH&S upon receipt on campus.

If you would like more information on campus tank installation, operation, and spill prevention or need assistance with the services below, please contact


Campus Storage Tank Policy


Who should I contact for more information?

Please contact the EH&S Construction Specialist at the EH&S main office at (510) 642-3073, or at for more information on demolitions.

New labs

How do I set up a new lab?

Note: Your department's Department Safety Coordinator (DSC) may have their own practices and guidelines. It is strongly suggested that you contact them for guidance. Not sure who your DSC is? Use the "Who's your DSC?" tool to find out!

Getting Started Email to have your new lab set up in our database. Populate your lab roster with the...

Demolition and Disposal

Review the following building demolition and lab decommissioning information.

How many days in advance should I notify certain parties of the demolition of my structure?

You must notify the BAAQMD at least 10 days prior to the commencement of a demolition.

You must notify EH&S and Facilities at least 30 days/months prior to the commencement of a demolition.

Do I need to conduct a survey prior to demolition?

You are also required to conduct a survey of your structure for building contaminants. If there is a need for abatement, contact Facilities Services Abatement Shop.

If radiation, biohazardous agents or mercury is known to be within the building’s history, do not begin any work or scope development without consulting with EH&S.