Demolition and Disposal

Review the following building demolition and lab decommissioning information. 

General Building Demolition

Do I need to obtain a permit for a demolition of a structure?

Yes, you are responsible for obtaining various permits and items prior to the demolition of a structure including:

A “J” Number from the BAAQMD Utility Clearance (Electric, Water, Sewer, Gas) Water Diversion & Fire Suppression Plans - Campus Fire Marshal EH&S chemical, radiation or biosafety clearance Appropriate fees for permits

Do I need to conduct a survey prior to demolition?

You are also required to conduct a survey of your structure for building contaminants. If there is a need for abatement, contact Facilities Services Abatement Shop.

If radiation, biohazardous agents or mercury is known to be within the building’s history, do not begin any work or scope development without consulting with EH&S.

How many days in advance should I notify certain parties of the demolition of my structure?

You must notify the BAAQMD at least 10 days prior to the commencement of a demolition.

You must notify EH&S and Facilities at least 30 days/months prior to the commencement of a demolition.

Who should I contact for more information?

Please contact the EH&S Construction Specialist at the EH&S main office at (510) 642-3073, or at for more information on demolitions.

Lab Decommissioning

My lab or shop is moving, what I do I need to do in order to properly vacate?

Contact EH&S as soon as possible for planning to vacate a laboratory or shop space. Vacating technical workspaces may require furniture, equipment, and chemical moves along with cleaning and chemical inventory updates.

In general, equipment and items for relocation need to be free of contamination before moving, giving to Excess or discarding. Laboratories, shops, etc. also need to be cleaned prior to re-occupancy.

You can read the Laboratory and Shop Move Manual for more information...

How do I properly clean a lab or shop for deactivation?

Lab and shop deactivation is dependent on the history of work or research conducted in the space.

Chemical decontamination of spaces and equipment may be done by the following personnel:

Laboratory supervisors, researchers, or investigators who can effectively disinfect the equipment themselves and provide certification by signing EH&S’ Facilities/Equipment Decontamination Clearance Certification. Hazardous Materials contractors approved to provide such services to the campus, managed by EH...

How are chemicals relocated or disposed during decommissioning?

Chemicals will have to be moved or removed by a qualified contractor managed by EH&S. It’s possible that EH&S can help move small amounts of chemicals, but will have to be determined.

Chemical transportation is regulated by US Department of Transportation standards and must never be conducted with personal vehicles or department/campus vehicles.

Chemical disposal requires EH&S signatures. Signing disposal manifests by unapproved personnel is a legal violation resulting in citations from the California Environmental Protection Agency.

How do I get furniture, equipment or lab instrumentation moved?

Some equipment and instruments require the manufacturer or vendor to disconnect and reconnect equipment along with potentially moving the equipment.

Furniture and some shop or lab equipment can be moved by the campus’ professional moving service.

What should I know if workers or contractors are modifying or remodeling my space?

Proper evaluation of materials to be disturbed should be conducted by EH&S. Many hazards exist within building materials themselves or may be impacted with chemical or biological residue, depending on the space history, and must be disclosed to all workers who may disturb or work in the space.

Plumbing and piping also have a high potential for chemical residue, especially mercury. It is pertinent that EH&S assist in the evaluation of spaces before remodeling or utility work occurs.

Contact EH&S for more...