How do I know if I need a BUA?

Your Principal Investigator will need to submit a Biological Use Authorization (BUA) if you are working with biological agents including:

  • recombinant DNA
  • synthetic nucleic acids
  • WHO Risk Group 2 or higher pathogens
  • biological toxins
  • material of human or non-human primate origin, including cell lines

To determine if the agent you plan to work with is considered Risk Group 2 or higher, please reference the ABSA website.