Controlled Substances

Providing assistance and monitoring for the use of regulated drugs and precursors in research.

Order and Purchase Controlled Substances

To order/purchase Schedule II-V controlled substances, the authorized user must:

Ensure the PI has an active CSUA.

Contact OLAC if the controlled substances are used under the ACUC approved protocol.

Use BearBuy to order controlled substances used in other research.

The requestor will be notified once the controlled substances will be delivered to the campus.

Work with Schedule I drugs

Schedule I drugs used in research require an individual registration with the DEA. The named registrant must also declare planned Schedule I drug usage and stored quantities in any campus-affiliated location to EH&S and the Controlled Substance Program Manager. Individual registrants should submit a completed Controlled Substances Project Registration Form to...

Labs and Research

Providing support, in the form of risk assessment, review, consultation(link sends e-mail), training, and the necessary resources and guidance for research at UC Berkeley.

Controlled Substances, Managing and Disposing

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

Fact Sheet: Managing and Disposing of Unwanted Controlled Substances

Job Safety Analysis (JSA) Library

Job Safety Analysis (JSA)

A JSA describes job tasks in step-by-step fashion, identifies associated hazards at each step, and outlines proper hazard controls that minimize the risk of injury or illness to the individual(s) performing that task.

Campus Laboratory Safety Policies

The University of California, Berkeley is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for the campus community. Faculty, students, and other personnel in laboratories and other academic settings may work with hazardous materials, equipment, and processes. With regard to safety and environmental protection, this teaching, and research work is governed by state and federal regulations and University policies.

New UC Systemwide Laboratory Safety Policies...

Fact Sheets

Fact Sheets

EH&S Fact Sheets serve as campus-wide Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).

Controlled Substances Project Registration Update Form

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

The Principal Investigator (PI) must use the Controlled Substances Program Project Registration Update Form for changes in personnel, location of storage, or addition of new chemicals. Forms that have been completed, dated and signed must be forwarded to EH&S: