Biological Safety

Providing support, in the form of risk assessment, review, consultation and training, for research at UC Berkeley that involves the use of recombinant DNA, biohazardous materials and biological toxins.

Hazardous Materials

Helping campus units manage their hazardous materials by providing assistance with shipping, waste pick-up and disposal, and chemical inventory needs.

Committee for Laboratory and Environmental Biosafety (CLEB)

The Committee for Laboratory and Environmental Biosafety (CLEB) serves as UC Berkeley’s Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC). CLEB is comprised of subject matter experts, an animal health expert, an occupational physician, as well as community members.

The committee meets to review Biological Use Authorizations on the first Tuesday of every month 12-2 p.m. in University Hall room 370. RSVP by email is required. If you wish to attend a committee meeting or have any other questions regarding CLEB, please...

Resources and Guides

Job Safety Analysis (JSA)

A JSA describes job tasks in step-by-step fashion, identifies associated hazards at each step, and outlines proper hazard controls that minimize the risk of injury or illness to the individual(s) performing that task.

JSAs Listed by Topic: Body Mechanics |...

New labs

How do I set up a new lab?

Note: Your department's Department Safety Coordinator (DSC) may have their own practices and guidelines. It is strongly suggested that you contact them for guidance. Not sure who your DSC is? Use the "Who's your DSC?" tool to find out!

Getting Started

1. Email to have your new lab set up in our database....

Laboratory Safety Manual

The laboratory safety manual provides an overview of lab safety procedures and policies.

Labs and Research

Providing support, in the form of risk assessment, review, consultation(link sends e-mail), training, and the necessary resources and guidance for research at UC Berkeley.

New Location for Biological Use Authorization

Office of Environment, Health & Safety
Biological Use Authorization (BUA) New Location Form

Make changes to existing BUA:


Complete a New Location Form and send it to

Also see:


Complete a BUA amendment and send it to bso@berkeley.edufor...

Exposure Control Plan - UC Berkeley

Office of Environment, Health & Safety
Biological Spills and Exposures

Follow procedures outlined in the lab’s Biological Use Authorization (BUA).

Exposure Control Plan

The UC Berkeley Exposure Control Plan (ECP) describes how to eliminate or minimize the exposure of all UC Berkeley personnel to human and nonhuman primate blood or blood products and other potentially infectious materials (OPIM) that might contain bloodborne pathogens (BBPs).

Also see:...

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - Labs

EH&S provides campus researchers with lab coats, safety glasses, and goggles. We also provide shared protective equipment to labs, such as face shields and protective aprons.

Please contact the PPE coordinator at or by calling (510) 642-3073 if you have any questions or comments about personal protective equipment for your lab.