Environmental Permits & Management Plans

Below are all of the environmental permits and management plans for the University of California, Berkeley. If you would like to apply for a permit, please see:

Apply for an Environmental Permit

Environmental permits may be needed for your construction, renovation, demolition, or decommissioning project if it will have land, air, water, or human impacts. Some activities will require:

  • Filing a permit
  • Paying fees to a regulatory agency
  • Self-monitoring
  • Standard or best practices

Please select a topic below that’s relative to your work for proper guidance and contact the EH&S Construction Specialist on campus for further information at ehs-ep@berkeley.edu.

General Planning Requirements for any project

  • Historical Site Assessments and Hazardous Materials Surveys
  • Plan Review Process
  • Legal Notices-Advisory Information
  • Water Discharges
  • GeoTechnical Drilling and Wells

New Construction

  • Office Buildings
  • Laboratories
  • Engineering or Shop Spaces
  • Classrooms and Lecture Halls
  • Residential Buildings
  • Day Care or Medical Buildings
  • Food Preparation or Service Facilities
  • Commercial Buildings
  • Sites Above an Acre in Size
  • Sites Less Than an Acre, but Greater Than - 2,500 Sq Ft. in Area
  • Soil Sampling & Offhaul
  • Fuel Storage
  • Building Equipment

Renovations, Modifications, and Building Alterations

  • Offices
  • Laboratories
  • Engineering or Shop spaces
  • Classrooms and Lecture Halls
  • Commercial Buildings
  • Building Exteriors
  • Creek modifications or stormwater improvements
  • Equipment Upgrades

Demolition, Decommissioning, or Relocation of space

  • Offices
  • Laboratories
  • Engineering or Shop spaces
  • Classrooms and Lecture Halls
  • Commercial Buildings
  • Chemical Relocation
  • Equipment Disposal
  • Waste and Recycling

List of physical permits and plans

These permits and plans are not available online. Please contact EH&S to review these documents.

  • Abatement Permits
  • Creek Alteration Permit
  • Greenhouse Gas Monitoring Plan
  • Hazardous Materials Business Plans (various locations)
  • Hazardous Materials Storage Permits (various locations)
  • National Pollutant Discharge Eliminations System (NPDES) Permits
  • Special Wastewater Discharge Permits
  • Underground Storage Tank (UST) Monitoring and Response Plan