UC Berkeley has a Toxic Gas Program that specifies minimum requirements for safe storage, use, and handling of toxic gas on campus. The Office of Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) coordinates this program by performing evaluations of toxic gas usage and offering technical advice on the requirements of the program.
Prior to the purchase of any toxic gas one or more of the following requirements may apply as a condition of use:
- Ventilated gas cabinets or enclosures for toxic gas cylinders
- Air flow monitors or alarms on ventilated enclosures or gas cabinets
- Toxic gas alarms
- Gas distribution equipment that uses compatible materials and design
- Critical flow orifices that limit the flow of gas
- Documented safety procedures and training of lab personnel
- Release scenario modeling
- Storage requirements
If you are planning to use gas and are unsure whether it is controlled by the Toxic Gas Program check the program document and contact EH&S at 642-3073.
Also see: Toxic Gas Fact Sheet