Bylaws of the Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Committee
Appendix A - NIRSC (06/04/2001)
1. Authority and Responsibility
The Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Committee (the Committee) is appointed by the Chancellor or his designee (the Vice-chancellor for Research). This Committee was formerly known as the Laser Safety Committee. The Committee reports to the Vice-chancellor for Research.
The Committee is delegated the authority and responsibility for setting campus policy in laser and other non-ionizing radiation safety, within the scope of the campus Laser Safety Program and the campus Non-Ionizing Radiation (NIR) Safety Program; for reviewing laser and other NIR source uses, and, where appropriate, authorizing such uses; for reviewing the operations and procedures of the Office of Radiation Safety (ORS) with respect to laser and other NIR safety and offering comments to the Laser Safety Officer (LSO) and the ORS Director regarding ORS laser and other NIR safety operations and procedures.
NOTE: Non-ionizing radiation shall be defined as all electromagnetic radiation with either a wavelength Ž 100 nm or a photon energy 12.4 eV.
The Committee has the first responsibility to act in the best interests of safety. The Committee has the authority to terminate a laser or other NIR source use, should termination be warranted. Committee decisions to revoke or suspend the use of a laser or other NIR source may be appealed to the Vice-chancellor for Research. The Vice-chancellor for Research will meet with the petitioner, ORS staff, and members of, or the full, Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Committee, as necessary, to make a determination as to revocation or suspension. Decisions to modify actions of the Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Committee will be transmitted to the Committee in writing and included in their files.
The Committee consists of not more than 10 or less than 5 members exclusive of ex-officio members. Membership of the Committee shall meet appropriate federal and state guidelines (if any) for composition of the Committee.
Experience: Members are appointed on the basis of knowledge of the principles and practices of the control of hazards resulting from or associated with the use of lasers and other NIR sources. The membership is to reflect the diversity of scientific disciplines using lasers and other NIR sources on campus.
Ex-officio members: The campus Laser Safety Officer (LSO), and the campus Radiation Safety Officer serve as ex-officio members. Others ex-officio members may be appointed by the Committee.
3. Length of Service
Members will normally serve for a three-year term but may be re-appointed for additional terms.
4. Appointment Process
Appointment of the Committee: On behalf of the Chancellor, the Vice-chancellor for Research shall receive nominations from the current Chair and may solicit nominations from Senate Committees and other academic administrative officers as appropriate.
Chair of the Committee: The Chair is selected from among continuing members of the Committee, and will normally have at least two years prior service as a member. Re-appointment of the Chair beyond a one-year term will be at the recommendation of the Vice-chancellor for Research.
The Committee is responsible for setting campus policy in laser and NIR safety, within the scope of the campus Laser Safety Program and NIR Safety Program; for reviewing uses of laser and other NIR sources, authorizing laser and other NIR source use where appropriate; and reviewing and approving procedures of the ORS with respect to laser and other NIR safety.
(b) Use of NIR Sources.
The Committee authorizes the use of laser or other NIR sources where appropriate. Any authorizations granted are to be supported by documentation including the following:
- (l) Adequate experience and training of the Authorized User;
(2) Sufficient and appropriate equipment and facilities;
(3) Adequate plans and procedures for the use of laser or other NIR sources; and
(4) Establishment of procedures to reduce the potential for laser or other NIR related incidents and accidents.
(c) Review of Authorized Uses
The Committee is to verify that each authorized laser or other NIR use is periodically reviewed by the ORS.
The Committee will review safety issues regarding laser or other NIR uses referred by the LSO or Director of the Office of Radiation Safety, and will determine whether to modify, restrict, or terminate the use of a laser or other NIR source.
(d) Review of the ORS Laser and NIR Safety Activities
The ORS staff is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the campus Laser Safety Program and NIR Safety Program and for assuring that laser and other NIR sources are used in conformity with policies set by the Committee. ORS brings to the attention of the Committee matters affecting campus laser and other NIR safety, changes needed in campus laser or NIR safety policy, and changes in standards or regulations related to laser or other NIR source use and safety. ORS provides such reports, summaries, and statistics as the Committee may require. The Committee reviews the operations and procedures of the ORS with respect to laser and other NIR safety and offers comments to the LSO and the ORS Director regarding laser and other NIR safety operations and procedures.
- (l) The Committee meets once each calendar quarter for the purpose of reviewing campus laser and other NIR safety issues, operations and procedures of ORS with respect to laser and other NIR safety, and to consider other materials needing its attention.
(2) At the discretion of the Committee Chair, or the LSO, special meetings may be called to review and approve laser or other NIR source use, review and act on laser or other NIR incidents, review and make changes in campus laser or NIR safety policy, and/or consider matters referred by the LSO, the Director of the Office of Radiation Safety, or members of the Committee.
(3) A quorum, consisting of a simple majority of the membership, shall be present at all meetings and will include the LSO and the Director of ORS, or designated alternates.
(4) The LSO, the Director of ORS, or a designated alternate keeps minutes of the meetings. Copies of the minutes are sent to members of the Committee. ORS maintains a file of the Committee meeting minutes and associated Committee files.
(f) Annual Report
The LSO prepares an annual report detailing the activities of the Committee. This report shall be reviewed and approved by the Committee Chair prior to being submitted to the Vice-chancellor for Research.
6. Review of Laser and NIR Source Uses
Laser and other NIR source uses are reviewed by the LSO. The ORS reviews each laser use at least annually and NIR uses as appropriate. Problems discovered during these reviews that cannot be resolved or are of concern are referred to the Chair of the Committee. The Chair of the Committee may refer problems or issues to the entire Committee for review and comment.