How do I request an occupational health and safety assessment?
EH&S offers environmental and occupational safety (CalOSHA) consultation and project assessments free of charge to campus project managers. If analytical testing or other services are required by your project that incur a cost to EH&S, a chartstring and EH&S Recharge account will be needed from your project.
Contact the Construction Coordinator at email@example.com to request a project assessment or inspection.
Typical environmental services and inspections for construction include:
- Project planning and consultation regarding environmental compliance within building design and equipment selection.
- Sampling soil or building materials for hazardous materials screening.
- Disposal of shop and chemical wastes or equipment.
- Stormwater monitoring.
Cal-OSHA requirements can be met in a variety of ways and should include EH&S’ Safety Engineer. Safety codes can be vague at times, but may greatly impact how buildings should be designed. Contact EH&S in advance for assistance in building design to meet Cal-OSHA requirements.
Most common Cal-OSHA violations and building design issues revolve around:
- Ladders and maintenance access
- Window washing
- Fall protection
- Lock-out, Tag-out (Energy Controls)
- Confined spaces
Building work areas that may include some of these elements can be challenging to maintain by the end-user and can be simplified with the right advice.
EH&S can also help you come up with a compliance checklist that is specific to your project needs.