Lessons Learned

Search results

  1. Lesson Learned- Paper Cutter Guards

      Guards on All Paper Cutters Don't lose your thumb! Paper cutters such as the one here are not safe or legal. Cal/OSHA has cited campus departments for allowing unguarded paper cutters in the workplace in prior years.   Lessons Learned Please be sur ...

  2. Lesson Learned- Researcher Smells Toxic Fluorine Gas When Changing Out Gas Cylinder

    What happened? Two researchers were changing out a gas cylinder containing a low concentration of fluorine used in an eximer laser. After reconnecting the regulator, researchers opened the cylinder valve, heard a hissing sound, and smelled a pungent odor. ...

  3. Lesson Learned- Lab Fire Caused By Hotplate Heating Oil Bath That Injured Researcher

    What Happened? A chemistry researcher was using an older model hot plate to heat an oil bath to 120-150°F. He borrowed the hotplate from someone else and was not familiar with the temperature controls. On this particular hot plate the temperature dial cou ...

  4. Lesson Learned- Accidental Mixing of Bleach and Acid

    What happened? A researcher working in a laboratory glassware washing area thought she should refresh the bleach solution for soaking lab glassware. In an "inattentive moment" she added fresh bleach to what she thought was the bleach soaking tub ...

  5. Lesson Learned- Bolt and Brace Your Shop Equipment

    What Happened? Someone was using the vice pictured below to hold an item in the process of a normal workday. In the process of performing a task, the vice toppled off the surface onto the person's foot causing a serious injury. The person was not wea ...

  6. Lesson Learned- Discovery of an Old Container of Potentially Explosive Chemical

    What happened? While working in a UC Berkeley laboratory, a graduate student discovered the presence of an old experimental set-up, which was labeled as containing a small amount of hydrazoic acid, in a shared cold room with no responsible contact person. ...

  7. Lesson Learned- Employee Receives Electrical Shock

    What Happened? A university employee was changing ballasts above a drop ceiling in a department reception area. The employee received an electrical shock from a 277volt circuit and was knocked off a step stool that she had placed on top of the reception d ...

  8. Lesson Learned- Employee's Toes Crushed by Falling Compressed Gas Cylinder

    What happened? In February 2007, a University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) researcher was loading a gas cylinder on a two-cylinder cart when the previously loaded cylinder fell and crushed his toes. What was the cause of the accident? What were t ...

  9. Lesson Learned- Ethanol Fire Burns Researcher

    A researcher was plating bacteria onto a petri dish using ethanol and a Bunsen burner as part of a standard sterile transfer on a lab bench. The metal spreader was dipped in a jar of ethanol and burned off in the burner. Somehow, the jar of ethanol spille ...

  10. Lesson Learned- Exploding Cylinder in Garbage

    What happened? On April 11, 2007, an employee of Campus Recycling and Refuse Services was alarmed when a suspected compressed gas cylinder ruptured in the rear hopper of a garbage truck. The employee was standing at the rear of the truck and had activated ...

Pages