Chemical Safety

Ensuring the safe and compliant use of chemicals on campus.

Chemical Safety

Chemical SafetyHow Do I: collapse all expand all Store chemicals safely?

The safe storage of hazardous chemicals is an essential part of an environmental, health, and safety program. Chemical storage...

UC Berkeley Toxic, Corrosive and Pyrophoric (TCP) Gas Program

UC Berkeley has a Toxic, Corrosive and Pyrophoric (TCP) Gas Program that specifies minimum requirements for safe storage, use, and handling of Toxic, Corrosive and Pyrophoric (TCP) gases on campus. The Office of Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) coordinates this program by performing evaluations of toxic, corrosive and pyrophoric gas usage and offering technical advice on the requirements of the program.

New TCP Gas Users

New potential users of toxic, corrosive or...

Laboratory Safety Manual

The laboratory safety manual provides an overview of lab safety procedures and policies.

Labs and Research

Providing support, in the form of risk assessment, review, consultation(link sends e-mail), training, and the necessary resources and guidance for research at UC Berkeley.

Chemical Inventory

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

This Fact Sheet will help you decide if you need to do a chemical inventory. For more information about the University of California, Berkeley chemical inventory system, please visit the Chemicals web page.

Russ Blackmar

Chemical Inventory Specialist
Chemical Safety
Chemical Inventory
Lab Safety

Improper Labeling Causes Injury from Acid Spray

September 30, 2004
What Happened?

A UC Berkeley researcher was preparing a sample for microscopy. After he had cleaned the sample with isopropanol, he poured the extra isopropanol into a container for unwanted chemicals labeled “isopropanol.” There was an immediate chemical reaction that caused the plastic container to rupture and spray the mixture around the area. He was later surprised to learn that the container actually held concentrated nitric acid in the form of spent copper etchant.

The researcher was startled and called for help. Other researchers promptly came to his assistance and called 911...

Chemical Waste Recharge Authorization Form

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

This form authorizes EH&S to recharge the account specified below whenever a department representative signs a Materials Packing List (MPL), or whenever a Hazardous Materials Management Team member completes and signs an MPL for routine bulk material pick-ups (i.e., oil, photographic waste,etc.). To establish your Chemical Waste Disposal Account, complete this form, obtain an authorized signature, and send the form to:

EH&S, Hazardous Materials Management Team, 317 University Hall, MC 1150 ; or fax it to (510) 643-7595; or email to...