If it's a life-threatening situation, evacuate the area and call 911.
- During business hours: Contact EH&S at (510) 642-3073 and press "1" when prompted to talk to a live person.
When a spill occurs:
- Isolate the area of the spill.
- Alert people in the immediate area.
- If spilled material is an imminent hazard, call 911 or (510) 642-3333 with a cellular phone.
- If spilled material is flammable, turn off nearby ignition or heat sources if it is safe to do so.
- If spilled material is volatile or an airborne powder, leave the area.
- If possible to do so safely, confine the area of the spill with absorbent materials.
- If possible, prevent the spilled material from going down drains.
- Close doors to affected areas.
- Post danger or warning signs.
- Keep people from entering the spill area.
- Clean spills only if they are minor and you have the training and protective equipment.
- Alert Building Management during business hours.
- During off-hours or weekends, call the Campus Police dispatch at 911 (510-642-3333 with a cellular phone) for an emergency or (510) 642-6760 for a non-emergency.
- If spilled chemicals enter a sink or drain, call EH&S at (510) 642-3073. Report the location and estimated amount of material to enter the drain.
This program and web site is currently under construction thanks to a grant from The Green Initiative Fund.
If you have questions or would like to donate your chemicals to the reuse program, please call the CHEX administrator at (510) 643-7195 or send an e-mail to email@example.com