April 21, 2021
- Review and follow the VCRO’s COVID-19 Field Research Guidelines & Checklist (coming soon).
- For international travel, follow CDC guidance and the two-step approval process posted on the UC Berkeley Global Engagement website.
General precautions and considerations:
- Stay home if sick with a fever or cough or recent travel to higher risk regions/close contact with suspect cases within the last 14 days
- Remind all participants to register travel via UC Away: https://ehs.ucop.edu/away/#/
- Surveillance COVID-19 testing is available on campus; vaccinations are recommended (learn more at the UHS website)
- Modify activities to maintain 6-foot physical distancing
- Ensure adequate water and soap for handwashing
- Promote hygiene: wash hands for 20 seconds and wipe down surfaces often, cough into sleeve, dispose of tissues
- Develop an enhanced cleaning/disinfection protocol for any shared bathrooms, kitchen facilities, or shared equipment
- Bring extra hand soap, hand sanitizer, and disinfectant wipes
- Carry a thermometer in your first aid kit
- Maintain robust communication to receive updates or get assistance; maintain a frequent check in schedule
- Carry a written emergency plan; consider distance to medical care and limited medical services/support for other injuries or illness
- For overnight trips, ensure extra lodging is available to maintain physical distancing, i.e. single rooms, single tents
- Even for small groups, discuss transportation options to maintain physica; distancing; avoid public transportation
- Continue to monitor precautions and maintain flexibility to alter plans at any time, self-isolate, or return home
- Keep a lookout for updated campus guidance on the COVID-19 pandemic: https://news.berkeley.edu/coronavirus/
- Utilize the Worksite Planning Checklist to document specific precautions for your project
For additional questions or concerns, please contact EH&S Field Safety - email@example.com.