Building Safety

To keep campus buildings safe, building coordinators and alternates serve as important liaisons between the occupants of their building and various campus service and support units.

Fire & Life Safety: Doors

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

All doors on campus must comply with state law requiring exit doors to be operable from the inside without the use of a key or any special knowledge or effort. (California Building Code 1008.1.9, 2013 Ed.)

Extension Cords and Surge Protectors

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

Extension Cords and Surge Protectors Fact Sheet

Extension cords are very useful in many applications on campus and in the field, but they do have limitations. Misused and damaged extension cords (see photos 1-6 below) have caused painful injuries, fires, equipment damage, and regulatory citations and penalties. Take the time to choose the proper extension cord for the equipment being used.

Bulletin Boards Information Sheet

Amy Chen

Bulletin Boards in Corridors of Campus Buildings, UC Berkeley

To assist the campus community with the placement of existing and new bulletin/poster boards in the corridors of campus buildings, the Campus Fire Marshal has established guidelines. Bulletin/poster board use shall meet the criteria of this guideline.

Water Discharge Regulations/Guidelines

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

Guidelines for Discharge of Automatic Fire Sprinkler Water

The following guidelines apply to the design and discharge of automatic fire sprinkler (AFS) water during initial acceptance, periodic testing, or other AFS discharge activities, and are to be followed by all UC Berkeley staff, design consultants and contractors.

Construction Managers Guide

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

Regulatory Guide for Construction Managers

The guide is designed to be used as a screening tool for building changes and construction that may have envi- ronmental, health and safety exposure impacts or agen- cy requirements beyond fire marshal requirements.

The topics in this guide are agency reporting and record -keeping requirements related to facilities and equip- ment undergoing construction, demolition, modification or renovation.

This guide is targeted for: UC Berkeley Real Estate; Physical and Environmental Planning; Capital...

Water Balance Calculator

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

Post-Construction Water Balance Calculator

Volume Calculator Porous Pavement Tree Planting Downsport Disconnection Impervious Area Disconnection Green Roofs Stream Buffer Vegetated Swale Rain Barrels & Cisterns Soil Quality

Storm Water Management Checklist

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

All construction projects that create and/or alter more than 2,500 square feet of impervious surface area must submit this checklist with accompanying documentation to

Instructions: Fill out all fields in the Project Overview page. Answer all 13 questions, as applicable to your project. Arrows (➜) indicate actions that are required.

Soil Off-Haul Protocol

Office of Environment, Health & Safety

All soil must be evaluated by UC Berkeley standards for environmental contamination with laboratory analysis before
export to any off-site location. UC Berkeley soil cannot be taken to K-12 schools, residential developments or other
sensitive receptor1 sites.

UC Berkeley retains right of approval for all proposed disposal or reuse sites.

Contaminated soil disposal will be subject to taxation through the Board of Equalization, based on weight and hazard

NOTES: 1 = Sensitive receptors are defined...

What should I do if my project finds smelly or discolored soil?

Discovery of hazardous materials during excavation is considered an emergency and the EH&S emergency response team should be contacted immediately at (510) 642-3073 including on weekends and after hours. Immediately stop work and isolate and restrict access to the area in question. EH&S will assess the soil. Contaminated soils can only be excavated by a licensed hazardous materials contractor. If the project contractor is not licensed, EH&S will work with you to obtain services of a campus approved hazardous materials contractor.

Do I have to sample soil excavated from my project?

Soil sampling is required for most excavation projects to assess worker safety and determine disposal requirements. The University has a legal responsibility to verify that we do not haul contaminated soil from the campus or give away pollution if present. Campus Project Managers must coordinate with EH&S prior to beginning excavation to establish a soil sampling and management plan.