When a biological spill occurs
- Alert people in the immediate area.
- Check yourself for contamination.
- Assess the situation: Are you wearing all of the necessary PPE to clean this spill?
- Cover the spill and the area around the spill with absorbent material.
- Pour freshly made 10% bleach on absorbent materials in a spiral motion, starting from the outside of the spill working your way into the center.
- Allow a 20-minute contact period.
- Wipe down any contaminated stationary equipment or furniture with an appropriate disinfectant.
- Use forceps, tongs, or broom to remove sharp objects and other items; then place in appropriate container (sharps, red bag, or regular garbage if BSL-1).
- Clean the area again with the 10% bleach solution.
- Decontaminate (autoclave or chemical treatment) your reusable clean-up items.
- Remove PPE and wash your hands with soap.
- Inform laboratory personnel when the spill clean-up is complete.
- Contact EH&S at (510) 642-3073 or email@example.com to report the spill.
September 1, 2016