Lessons Learned

Search results

  1. Lesson Learned- Employee Receives Electrical Shock

    What Happened? A university employee was changing ballasts above a drop ceiling in a department reception area. The employee received an electrical shock from a 277volt circuit and was knocked off a step stool that she had placed on top of the reception d ...

  2. Lesson Learned- Chemical Explosion Causes Eye Injury

    ANSI-approved safety glasses—and other personal protective equipment specified in the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)—are essential whenever working with hazardous materials. SOPs also indicate other precautions that must be followed to ensure safety ...

  3. Lesson Learned- Accidental Mixing of Bleach and Acid

    What happened? A researcher working in a laboratory glassware washing area thought she should refresh the bleach solution for soaking lab glassware. In an "inattentive moment" she added fresh bleach to what she thought was the bleach soaking tub ...

  4. Lesson Learned- Improper Hazardous Material Disposal

      What happened? A can of epoxy hardener was included in a salvage cart (see photo) and spilled at some point in the process of moving the salvage cart. An employee came in contact with the spilled material and was instructed to immediately was with soap ...

  5. Lesson Learned- Exposure to Poisonous Chemicals Due to Improper Storage and Unsafe Work Practices

    What happened? A graduate student working in a UC Berkeley laboratory needed a chemical from an overhead shelf. To reach the chemical, the student stood on tiptoe and leaned on the edge of a shelf. This pressure caused the shelf to shift and chemicals to ...

  6. Lesson Learned- Eye Exposure to Specular Reflection

    What happened?                                                                                                              Download a print friendly PDF A researcher was diagnosing a power loss from a Spectra Physics 3900 Ti-Sapphire (oscillator) that is ...

  7. Lesson Learned- Ladder Fall Results in $19,125 Fine and Serious Injury

    In 2008 and 2009 UC Berkeley experienced two serious injuries resulting from falls from ladders. 2009 Incident During the summer a campus employee was disassembling equipment attached to a wall. He was using a wooden step ladder that had been left on site ...

  8. Lesson Learned- Forklift Rollover

    What happened? A veteran forklift operator with 20 years experience started his day just as he had often done, then soon realized just how fast things can change. Due to an oversized load, the operator was transporting a dumpster bin on the forks of his f ...

  9. Lesson Learned- Improper Labeling Causes Injury from Acid Spray

    Be extra careful with nitric acid waste! What happened? A UC Berkeley researcher was preparing a sample for microscopy. After he had cleaned the sample with isopropanol, he poured the extra isopropanol into a container for unwanted chemicals labeled “isop ...

  10. Lesson Learned- Pressurized Dewar Cap is Blown Off and Causes Minor Injury

    What happened? In July 2008, a guest scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory sustained a minor injury when the cap of a 50-Liter liquid nitrogen Dewar burst off and hit his forehead. The scientist needed to fill the Dewar- which hadn't ...

Pages