Lessons Learned

Search results

  1. Lesson Learned- Explosion of Concentrated Hydrofluoric Acid Waste Solution

    What happened? A graduate student in a UC Berkeley laboratory discovered the aftermath of a chemical explosion upon arrival at the laboratory he shares with other graduate students. The extensive contamination was caused by the explosive rupture of a plas ...

  2. Lesson Learned- Fire Hazard with Immersion Water Heaters

    What happened? It is believed that a Cole Parmer Polystat 12002 immersion heater in a University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) microbiology laboratory did not shut off as the water level in the plastic bath dropped, allowing the temperature to rise to ...

  3. Lesson Learned- Forklift Rollover

    What happened? A veteran forklift operator with 20 years experience started his day just as he had often done, then soon realized just how fast things can change. Due to an oversized load, the operator was transporting a dumpster bin on the forks of his f ...

  4. Lesson Learned- Severe Finger Injury from Wedding Ring

    What happened? An employee was working in the bed of a large pickup truck. The truck was equipped with a Tommy Gate lift and hinged gate doors that opened outward. The employee was attempting to get down from the truck, so he placed his left hand on the d ...

  5. Lesson Learned- Glass Reactor Over-pressurization Causes Serious Injury to Grad Student Researcher

    What Happened? A recent lab accident caused serious injury to a UCB graduate student due to an over pressurization that caused a glass reactor to fail. Glass was sprayed at the researcher who received cuts to his lip, chin, chest, and serious cuts to his ...

  6. Lesson Learned- Improperly Vented Experiment Causes Explosion and Burns

    What happened? A graduate student working in a UC Berkeley laboratory was performing a series of evaporation procedures outside of a fume hood using a general-purpose electric pump and a roto-evaporator that had no exhaust equipment. In an effort to make ...

  7. Lesson Learned- Improper Hazardous Material Disposal

      What happened? A can of epoxy hardener was included in a salvage cart (see photo) and spilled at some point in the process of moving the salvage cart. An employee came in contact with the spilled material and was instructed to immediately was with soap ...

  8. Lesson Learned- Exposure to Bromine During a Laboratory Refrigerator Clean-up

    What happened? While performing a chemical inventory inside a laboratory refrigerator, a UC Berkeley graduate student observed the presence of condensate on the inside walls of the refrigerator. This student and two other graduate students proceeded to cl ...

  9. Lesson Learned- Exposure to Poisonous Chemicals Due to Improper Storage and Unsafe Work Practices

    What happened? A graduate student working in a UC Berkeley laboratory needed a chemical from an overhead shelf. To reach the chemical, the student stood on tiptoe and leaned on the edge of a shelf. This pressure caused the shelf to shift and chemicals to ...

  10. Lesson Learned- Improper Labeling Causes Injury from Acid Spray

    Be extra careful with nitric acid waste! What happened? A UC Berkeley researcher was preparing a sample for microscopy. After he had cleaned the sample with isopropanol, he poured the extra isopropanol into a container for unwanted chemicals labeled “isop ...

Pages