Lessons Learned

Search results

  1. Lesson Learned- Improperly Vented Experiment Causes Explosion and Burns

    What happened? A graduate student working in a UC Berkeley laboratory was performing a series of evaporation procedures outside of a fume hood using a general-purpose electric pump and a roto-evaporator that had no exhaust equipment. In an effort to make ...

  2. Lesson Learned- Exposure to Bromine During a Laboratory Refrigerator Clean-up

    What happened? While performing a chemical inventory inside a laboratory refrigerator, a UC Berkeley graduate student observed the presence of condensate on the inside walls of the refrigerator. This student and two other graduate students proceeded to cl ...

  3. Lesson Learned- Laser Safety in Research Laboratories

    In April 2003, the Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Committee (NIRSC) informed the laser research community that a serious laser eye injury had occurred on the UC Berkeley campus. The campus Laboratory Safety Officer (LSO) performed an investigation of the i ...

  4. Lesson Learned- Missing Guard on Incubator Fan Injures Post Doc

    What happened? A post doctoral researcher was reaching into a New Brunswick Scientific Model G-25R Shaker Table Incubator to clean up a spill when her right hand got caught in the spinning exhaust fan blade.  She lacerated her middle finger and lost part ...

  5. Lesson Learned- Needlestick from Regular Trash

    What happened? An employee in Campus Recycling & Refuse Services was stuck by a needle while emptying trash bags from a dumpster behind Wellman Hall. The incident happened early in the morning, and the employee sought immediate off-site medical care. ...

  6. Lesson Learned- Oleylamine Chemical Burn

    What happened? A laboratory researcher suffered a delayed chemical burn after only a few drops of a highly corrosive organic chemical splattered on his unprotected left forearm. The burns first appeared hours after exposure, got worse overnight, and event ...

  7. Lesson Learned- Peroxide Explosion Injures Campus Researcher

      Hazardous peroxide contaminants formed in old solvent and exploded after concentration.   What happened? An undergraduate student researcher was working at the laboratory bench when the apparatus she was using exploded, sending glass fragments into her ...

  8. Lesson Learned- Acetone Fire

    What happened? A student worker in a Berkeley campus laboratory was refilling squirt bottles with acetone from a larger dispensing container when he spilled approximately one cup of acetone liquid onto the floor. Due to lack of training, and/or an error i ...

  9. Lesson Learned- Superconducting Magnet Explosion

    What happened? A 9.4 Tesla super conducting magnet, used for mass spectroscopy in a campus laboratory recently suffered a catastrophic failure. The incident was apparently caused by over pressurization and failure of the liquid helium (LHe) chamber. Altho ...

  10. Lesson Learned- Injury Caused by High Voltage Capacitor Discharge

    What happened? A campus employee working in an electronics shop was repairing a power supply unit. The cooling fan had not been working properly, causing the unit to overheat. The employee replaced the defective cooling fan and then reached into the open ...

Pages