Lead: Roy Waller, EH&S Safety Specialist
Phone: (510) 642-6885
Team: Health & Safety
Associate Director: Brandon DeFrancisci
DescriptionThis program guides all aspects of the Aerial Lift / Elevating Work Platform Safety Program for the University of California at Berkeley. As mandated by Cal/OSHA and other regulatory compliance codes, this program guides compliance with, and application of, all legal requirements for UC Berkeley departments, field stations and work / research operations that use these types of equipment.
Departments that own, rent and/or otherwise operate Aerial Lifts / Elevating Work Platforms (AL/EWP) must:
1. Select and then purchase or rent appropriate equipment for job tasks based upon an work-environment and job-task hazard analysis,
2. Train and license personnel who operate their specific type of owned / rented equipment,
3. Conduct documented safety inspections and preventive maintenance of the equipment,
4. Assure operators adhere to specific safe-work practices whenever using these types of powered industrial equipment, and
5. Approve Contractors / Vendors to use AL/EWP equipment on their premises, and only allow properly licensed contractor / vendor personnel to use Department-owned equipment.
For basic information about this program, please review the AL/EWP Safety Program FAQ to become familiar with program requirements, equipment and environmental hazards and their controls.
For easy navigation and access to all sections of the AL/EWP Safety Program, please proceed to the AL/EWP Safety Program Table of Contents.
To download the complete AL/EWP Safety Program as a PDF, click here.