How do I ship hazardous materials?

No hazardous materials may be shipped from campus without consulting with an EH&S Hazardous Materials Shipping Specialist. Contact David Scrimger at (510) 812-0269 or

If you are unsure if your material is allowed to be shipped, contact EH&S.

Regulated Hazardous Materials include:

  • infectious and biological substances
  • genetically modified organisms or micro-organisms
  • chemicals
  • radioactive materials
  • compressed cylinders (whether filled or empty).

Some common examples of hazardous materials:

  • dry ice
  • liquid nitrogen
  • certain batteries
  • equipment containing batteries
  • gasoline
  • alcohol
  • ethanol


Shipping Dry Ice via Air at UC Berkeley (PDF)