Hazardous Materials

Presciption (Rx) Drugs

Tang Center pharmacy now has a prescription disposal bin open to the public.

The pharmacy is open:

Weekdays (M-F): 8:30am-6pm
Saturday: 9am-12:30pm & 1-5pm
Sunday: 11am-3pm

What types of medicine are accepted?

  • Unused and/or expired prescription medication and over-the-counter drugs
  • Pet medicine
  • Liquids and creams

Is there anything that can’t put in the bin?

Potentially Explosive Chemicals

Potentially Explosive Chemicals (PECs) include peroxidizable organic chemicals which oxidize, dry out or otherwise destabilize over time. Examples include isopropyl ether, sodium amide and picric acid. Old or mismanaged chemicals and can pose a serious threat to the health and safety of laboratory personnel, emergency responders, building occupants and chemical waste handlers.

For additional information, contact Andrew Fletcher at (510) 643-9254 or andrew.fletcher@berkeley.edu

How do I deal with a spill?

If it's a life-threatening situation, evacuate the area and call 911.

  • During business hours: Contact EH&S at (510) 642-3073 and press "1" when prompted to talk to a live person.
  • After-Hours: Contact UCPD at (510) 642-3333 or 911.
  • If you have been trained (with documentation) on proper spill clean-up procedures and are familiar with the hazards of the chemical you may clean it up yourself.


Chemical Exchange

A Chemical Exchange Service for UC Berkeley Faculty and Staff 

This program and web site is currently under construction thanks to a grant from The Green Initiative Fund.

If you have questions or would like to donate your chemicals to the reuse program, please call the CHEX administrator at (510) 643-7195 or send an e-mail to chex@berkeley.edu.