- All purchase records and logbooks for controlled substances must be maintained for at least 2 years and usage logs must be kept in your secure storage location with the controlled substances.
- A logbook for this purpose will be provided for each drug when you pick up your controlled substance order. Contact EH&S if you need another copy.
- All withdrawals or usage must be clearly recorded in the logbook.
- The balance should always represent the amount on hand in your storage location.
Note: Notify EH&S immediately of any missing controlled substances: (510) 642-3073.
Principal Investigators (PIs) are responsible for providing and maintaining secure storage for their CS inventory that meets these criteria:
Store CS according to schedule number:
Schedule II: Store in a safe or steel cabinet equivalent.
Schedule III-V: Store in a locked drawer or cabinet that is inaccessible from above or below.
Install the following equipment according to these standards:
Precursor chemicals and List I Chemicals are chemicals that have legitimate uses and also have the potential to be used in the manufacture of controlled substances. State and federal laws require campus vendors to uphold stringent regulations regarding distribution of these chemicals.
To request pick up of the unwanted controlled substances complete the following steps:
The Principal Investigator (PI) must complete all steps of the Controlled Substances Used in Research Registration project and must complete a controlled substances use authorization.
To order/purchase the chemicals the authorized user must:
The Principal Investigator (PI) must use the Controlled Substances Program Project Registration Update Form for changes in personnel, location of storage, or addition of new chemicals. Forms that have been completed, dated and signed must be forwarded to EH&S: email@example.com.
- Contact your departmental HR to arrange the documents and schedule an appointment at UCPD.
- Bring completed Background Check documents (Live Scan Service Form, Disclosure Form and Interdepartmental Order/Charge form) to your appointment at UCPD.
- Instructions for Completing Background Checks (PDF)
- Registration for Research Involving Controlled Substances.
- Note: Only Principal Investigators (PIs) can submit a completed registration application.
- Hard copies must be delivered to EH&S in University Hall, Suite 317.
- Criminal Background Checks at UCPD.
- Anabolic steroids
- Chloral Hydrate
- Diazepam (Valium)