Controlled Substances

Recordkeeping and Inventory

Controlled Substances:
  • All purchase records and logbooks for controlled substances must be maintained for at least 2 years and usage logs must be kept in your secure storage location with the controlled substances. 
  • A logbook for this purpose will be provided for each drug when you pick up your controlled substance order.  Contact EH&S if you need another copy. 
  • All withdrawals or usage must be clearly recorded in the logbook. 
  • The balance should always represent the amount on hand in your storage location. 

Storage and Security

Note: Notify EH&S immediately of any missing controlled substances: (510) 642-3073.

Principal Investigators (PIs) are responsible for providing and maintaining secure storage for their CS inventory that meets these criteria:

Store CS according to schedule number:

Schedule II: Store in a safe or steel cabinet equivalent.

Schedule III-V: Store in a locked drawer or cabinet that is inaccessible from above or below.

Install the following equipment according to these standards:

How do I get authorization to use controlled substances in my research?

In order to work with Schedules II-V controlled substances on campus, these four steps must be completed:
  1. Registration for Research Involving Controlled Substances.
    • Note: Only Principal Investigators (PIs) can submit a completed registration application.
    • Hard copies must be delivered to EH&S in University Hall, Suite 317.
  2. Criminal Background Checks at UCPD.

How do I know if a chemical or drug is regulated and requires special controls?

Controlled Substances: The following controlled substances are commonly used for research in campus laboratories:
  • Anabolic steroids
  • Buprenorphine
  • Chloral Hydrate
  • Cocaine
  • Codeine
  • Diazepam (Valium)
  • Ketamine
  • Methamphetamine
  • Morphine
  • Phenobarbital
A complete list of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) controlled substances by schedule.